Check Out This August To Do List!
Plant Bermuda lawns during the active growing season, May through August.
Fertilize Bermuda grass lawns each month beginning late April or early May with nitrogen according to the directions on the package.
Apply Iron one per month according to the directions on the package.
Apply one inch of water per week to Bermuda lawns.
Raise the mowing height to 2.5 to 3 inches during the warmer months.
Once every two or three years dethatch Bermuda lawns if necessary. Only dethatch during the active growing season, May through August. This enables the turf to quickly recover.
To remove a Bermuda lawn:
- Water and fertilize the grass to ensure that it is actively growing
- Apply a herbicide with glyphosate according to the directions on the package
- The grass will take in the herbicide throughout the entire root system, thus killing the plant rather than just knocking it back
- After a few days water again
- Reapply the herbicide to any of the turf that regrows
- Continue this cycle (may take three or more times) of fostering growth and applying herbicide until the grass is completely killed